Friday, May 24, 2013

Quinoa Scramble

It's been a while since I've posted a recipe so I decided to post what I'm mixing up for breakfast this morning. I'm trying to increase protein intake, especially in the morning. Because I read on facebook (yes I know, you shouldn't believe everything on facebook) where a RD had gone to a convention and had learned that increased protein for breakfast was associated with increased weight loss. I'm sorry I don't have link, I'll try to find it later.

Quinoa Scramble
3/4 cup of quinoa, dry uncooked
1lb sausage
1 can of spinach, rinsed and drained
5 eggs
1/4 cup shredded cheese

directions:

  1. Cook quinoa in rice cooker, I followed package directions and used 2x as much water as quinoa
  2. cook and drain sausage. I cooked mine in the oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes while quinoa was cooking.
  3. Scramble eggs and then add spinach, heat through.
  4. Add cheese to eggs and spinach mix. Stir till cheese is melted
  5. Combine ingredients either before serving or let everyone combine them how they wish.


Nutrition Facts
  5 Servings, Amount Per Serving
  Calories 363.6
  Total Fat 20.1 g
     Saturated Fat 6.7 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat 2.6 g
     Monounsaturated Fat 7.5 g
  Cholesterol 222.1 mg
  Sodium 710.6 mg
  Potassium 369.5 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
     Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
     Sugars 2.2 g
  Protein 24.0 g

This recipe also has 90% of Vitamin A, 25% of Iron, 18% of Calcium daily values. I highlighted the Protein, because that's an awesome amount of protein for the calories.Using fresh spinach and fresh sausage could possibly lower the sodium content. I also added picante sauce to mine, but didn't include it in the nutrition analysis.
Sorry it's not a prettier picture, my phone takes lousy ones and my batteries are dead in my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment