Monday, March 21, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Grits

Having teeth pulled is a pain in so many ways.  Not only is there the physical pain, there is the frustrating pain.  Looking for healthy foods that are soft enough to not hurt an already hurt mouth can be difficult.  Everyone around is suggesting foods like Jello, pudding, ice cream, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Really?  Why would I want to put crap in my mouth when I had teeth removed in order to be healthy.  It's crap like that contributed to the decay that led to me having to have teeth pulled.  I know people mean well, they just don't have a clue.  This is why I go to school.  This is why my undergraduate major is Health and Sports Sciences with a concentration in Dietetics.  This is also why I want to go into Family Medicine.  I want to educate people, hopefully show them how they can eat healthy, yummy foods.  Anyway here's what has been my breakfast past couple days.  It's not bad at all and I can practically drink it.  I'm sure the recipe can be tweaked into being cleaner.  For example, if you could find old fashioned grits.  All I saw when I grabbed these were quick grits.  

Cinnamon Apple Grits serves 1
1/4 cup grits
1 cup of water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon flaxseed

  1. Bring water to boil.  Add Grits and boil 5-7 minutes
  2. Let grits set for a minute or two.  Add rest of the ingredients and stir.
  3. Eat and enjoy.


Nutrition Date (approximate)
Calories 227
calories from fat 76
Total fat 9g
saturated fat 6g
trans fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 9mg
Total Carb 48g
dietary fiber 4g
sugars 12g
Protein 4g

As my gums are healing I'll be looking for recipes that are easy to chew and post here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment