Friday, April 22, 2011

Thai Barley

I'm being really generous with the Thai label.  I thought I had some curry powder so that I could of made some sort of curry paste to put into this recipe.  I didn't, but I did have a lot of seasonings commonly found in Thai food so I added those. The result was a pretty good side dish.  Thai Barley could also be a main dish for a meatless night (use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for a vegan dish).

Thai Barley
1 cup of pearl barley
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 med. onion
3 cloves garlic
2 sticks celery
4 med. potatoes
1 can of corn
1 can of peas
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp turmeric
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 cups water

  1. Bring chicken broth to a boil, add barley.  Cover and simmer for 35 minutes
  2. Dice and saute garlic, onion and celery
  3. Dice potatoes
  4. Add 2 cups of water to barley, and then add onion mixture and potatoes.
  5. Add all the seasonings
  6. Stir well and add corn and peas.
  7. Cook until well heated
This dish had mixed reviews with my bunch.  I liked it, Hubby didn't try it, Daughter said she thought the flavor was weird and only ate half her serving.  The boys all picked at it and didn't tell me one way or another if they liked it or not.  Barley is brand new in my household and before tonight no one had tried it before.  I think it will be good for a side once in a while. Especially since it's a pretty cheap dish.  The barley was only 0.82/lb, potatoes were bought at 3.50/10lb, celery 1.29/bunch, onion/1.50 a bag, garlic 1.00/2 heads.  If I was to try and figure the cost I could reasonably say it would of been around 0.25 a serving (give or take a penny).

nutriontal data:
Calories: 378
calories from fat: 27
Total fat 3g
saturated fat 2g
trans fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 443 mg
Total Carbohydrate 81g
dietary fiber 15g
sugars 5g
Protein 11g

No comments:

Post a Comment