Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pork and Wild Rice mix


A couple of weeks ago my mother came down to help out with the kiddies while they were on Fall break. While down we went to Lit restaurant supply to browse and she bought this ParExcellence Garden Harvest wild rice mix. It had some dehydrated carrots, celery, garlic and onion in it and seemed pretty clean and healthy. Well when I fixed it that night I didn't add anything to it. I had read the ingredients list and thought that it should have enough flavor of it's own. I was wrong, it was like eating plain rice. I was hoping that my mother would of taken the container back home with her (especially since it had 50 servings worth of rice mix in it). No such luck. So being stuck with this stuff I decided I was going to fix it like I would plain rice.




Here's what I came up with.




Pork and Wild Rice Mix
6 servings about 2 cups each

5 pork steaks, sliced
2 3/4 cups of water
1 cup of wild rice mix
1 can low sodium corn
1 can of italian herb diced tomatoes
1 medium jalapeno, diced
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 dashes creole seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil


Directions:

1. In 1 tablespoon olive oil, brown the sliced pork steaks.

2. Add water and rice, bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Stir in tomatoes, jalapeno and drained corn.

4. I had a lot of liquid in the skillet so I left it uncovered turned the heat up to medium and cooked till liquid evaporated.




Nutrition Data (approx.)
Calories
460
Calories from Fat 197
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
21.9g
34%
Saturated Fat 7.2
g
36%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
108mg
36%
Sodium
503mg
21%
Total Carbohydrates
31.0g
10%
Dietary Fiber
3.4g
14%
Sugars
4.1g
Protein 34.
8g
Vitamin A 10%Vitamin C 24%
Calcium 6%Iron 16%






No comments:

Post a Comment